Collection XI/014 - International Voluntary Services Records

Identity area

Reference code

US MCUSAA XI/014

Title

International Voluntary Services Records

Date(s)

  • 1952-2010 (Creation)

Level of description

Collection

Extent and medium

33.70 Linear Feet; 57 Archives Boxes, 2 Records Cartons, and 2 Oversize Boxes

Context area

Name of creator

Administrative history

International Voluntary Services (IVS) was founded in 1953 with the support of the U.S. Technical Cooperation Agency, today known as USAID.  The U.S. Technical Cooperation Agency sought to foster the development of private voluntary organizations to supply educated volunteers to work in developing countries.  A committee that included Mennonites and Brethren experienced with overseas relief work conceptulaized the organization that ultimately became IVS.

 

The first IVS volunteers were stationed in Egypt in 1954.  Within two years, IVS placed volunteers in Iraq, Laos, Jordan, and Vietnam to work with villagers to improve agricultural production, education, and health.

 

For nearly twenty years, IVS expanded its geographical locations and its projects while remaining dependent upon funding from USAID.  In 1973, IVS was asked to find funding apart from USAID funds.  In spite of its financial problems, the organization continued to grow, beginning programs in Bangladesh, Ecuador, Bolivia, and other countries and expanding its services to include disaster relief.

 

In the 1980s and 1990s, IVS began consolidating programs and placing volunteers as workers with non-government organizations.  Attempts to restructure the organization financially were unsuccessful, as IVS metamorphosized from a grassroots volunteer organization into an agency that administered sub-grants on behalf of USAID.

 

In its final years, much IVS work focused on AIDS education and prevention in southeast Asia.  By the late 1990s, however, only three strong programs remained: Ecuador, Bolivia, and Bangaldesh.  Before the dissolution of IVS, these programs were converted into national NGOs.  IVS was dissolved in 2003.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

The collection consists of seven series:

Series 1: Executive Committee / Board of Directors Meeting Minutes, 1953-2001 Series 2: Project Files, 1952-2002 Series 3: Executive Director Files, 1953-1997 Series 4: Publications, 1954-2003 Series 5: Alumni Materials, 1963-2000 Series 6: Photographs, 1960-1995 Series 7: Miscellaneous, 1973, undated

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

Acc 2011-30: 25 linear feet, donated by Anne Shirk

Acc 2015-003, Carlie E. Numi, 0.1 linear feet of alumni material (Vietnam slides, 1963-1965)

System of arrangement

By series

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

This collection is open to the public.

Conditions governing reproduction

Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. Copyright owned by the Mennonite Church USA Archives.

Language of material

  • English
  • French
  • Spanish
  • Vietnamese

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

The Rauner Special Collections Library at Dartmouth College (Hanover, NH) holds the papers of Don Cohon, who served with IVS in Vietnam from 1965 to 1967. The papers document Cohon's term of service as well as decades of post-IVS work with southeast Asian refugees in the United States.

Information about related materials is available at https://ead.dartmouth.edu/html/ms1347_fullguide.html

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Description control area

Description identifier

ArchonInternalCollectionID:272

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

2010-09-30

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area