- CA MAO Digital 122
The two large buildings on the left are the newly built Zilliax Hotel and stables, on the north west corner of Church and Arthur Streets, Elmira. In the Elmira Signet, October 10, 1898, J. Letter and Son of Waterloo was listed as the contractor re building the stable of the Zilliax block after a fire had leveled it. (The fire levelled several buildings along the street included the wooden Zilliax hotel.)
Across Arthur Street, is the two-storey Dreisinger building (formerly the Wachsmuth Block). It had an addition built on the back in 1912, so this dates the photo between 1898 and 1912.
In the Elmira Signet, January 29, 1920, information about the sale of the stables is given: "Further, the sale of the Ziliax sheds to Mr. W. C. Quickfall as a garage will deprive our farmers of the principal shed remaining."
It's possible that the horses are being taken to the corner for a sale which was held regularly.