- 1952-2010 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
33.70 Linear Feet; 57 Archives Boxes, 2 Records Cartons, and 2 Oversize Boxes
Name of creator
International Voluntary Services (IVS) was founded in 1953 with the support of the U.S. Technical Cooperation Agency, today known as USAID. The U.S. Technical Cooperation Agency sought to foster the development of private voluntary organizations to supply educated volunteers to work in developing countries. A committee that included Mennonites and Brethren experienced with overseas relief work conceptulaized the organization that ultimately became IVS.
The first IVS volunteers were stationed in Egypt in 1954. Within two years, IVS placed volunteers in Iraq, Laos, Jordan, and Vietnam to work with villagers to improve agricultural production, education, and health.
For nearly twenty years, IVS expanded its geographical locations and its projects while remaining dependent upon funding from USAID. In 1973, IVS was asked to find funding apart from USAID funds. In spite of its financial problems, the organization continued to grow, beginning programs in Bangladesh, Ecuador, Bolivia, and other countries and expanding its services to include disaster relief.
In the 1980s and 1990s, IVS began consolidating programs and placing volunteers as workers with non-government organizations. Attempts to restructure the organization financially were unsuccessful, as IVS metamorphosized from a grassroots volunteer organization into an agency that administered sub-grants on behalf of USAID.
In its final years, much IVS work focused on AIDS education and prevention in southeast Asia. By the late 1990s, however, only three strong programs remained: Ecuador, Bolivia, and Bangaldesh. Before the dissolution of IVS, these programs were converted into national NGOs. IVS was dissolved in 2003.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
The collection consists of seven series:
Series 1: Executive Committee / Board of Directors Meeting Minutes, 1953-2001 Series 2: Project Files, 1952-2002 Series 3: Executive Director Files, 1953-1997 Series 4: Publications, 1954-2003 Series 5: Alumni Materials, 1963-2000 Series 6: Photographs, 1960-1995 Series 7: Miscellaneous, 1973, undated
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
Acc 2011-30: 25 linear feet, donated by Anne Shirk
Acc 2015-003, Carlie E. Numi, 0.1 linear feet of alumni material (Vietnam slides, 1963-1965)
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
This collection is open to the public.
Conditions governing reproduction
Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. Copyright owned by the Mennonite Church USA Archives.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Place access points
Name access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion