This is a fairly large collection of photographs, mainly negatives, on Mennonite life taken across the United States and Canada over a seven year period. The photographs were taken by John E. Harshberger and others, and the photographs were taken for use in the periodical, Mennonite Community 1947-1953. The periodical merged with Christian Monitor to become Christian Living in 1954. The Mennonite Community was a 36-page periodical published by the Mennonite Community Association at Scottdale, PA, January 1947 to October 1949. At first a bimonthly, in January 1948 it became a monthly. In November 1949 responsibility for its publication was assumed by the Mennonite Publishing House. Stressing the social implications of the Gospel, the journal conceived of the Christian community as church-centered and was concerned that its economic, social, educational, and cultural life should be a true expression of the Gospel to which the church adheres. Emphasis was placed on social ethics, stewardship, brotherhood, Christian education, and health practices. In January 1954 the Mennonite Community and the Christian Monitor were discontinued and replaced by a new periodical, Christian Living, combining the interests of both, and described as "A Magazine for Home and Community." The editor of the Mennonite Community was Grant Stoltzfus to August 1952, after which an editorial committee with Ralph Hernley as chairman had charge of the journal. Hershberger, Guy F. "Mennonite Community, The (Periodical)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 08 November 2010. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/M46616.html.