Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Hamm, Heinrich H., 1877-1962
Parallel form(s) of name
- Hamm, H. H.
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
H.H. Hamm was an author, teacher and administrator of the Rural Municipality of Rhineland.
Heinrich H. Hamm (1877-1962) was born in the village of Chorititza, Chortitza colony, South Russia. as the son of Gerhard Hamm and Anna Knelsen. He attended school in the village of Rosenthal. In 1892 he immigrated to Canada with his parents and settled in the Winkler-Morden area and two years later relocated to the village of Neuanlage along the Post Road. Hamm attended the Mennonite Educational Institute in Gretna for training as a teacher around the year 1894. He taught school for one year in Neuanlage, two years at Hoffnungsort, three years in Edenthal, replaced teacher Benjamin Ewert for a year in Edenburg, and then taught for three years in Altona.
H.H. Hamm married Anna Dick in 1904 and they had 3 children.
In 1913 Hamm became secretary-treasurer for the Rural Municipality of Rhineland and in 1919 he also became secretary for the village of Altona, a position which he held until 1935. Hamm continued to serve the Municipality until 1944 when he moved to Ottawa for a year. When he returned, he became the first mayor of Altona after it incorporated in 1946. Hamm retired from public life in 1949 and the following year he went on a trip to Europe and the Middle East. He died in 1962.
Altona, Manitoba, Canada
Functions, occupations and activities
Author of: Sixty years of progress: The rural municipality of Rhineland. Altona, Manitoba: D.W. Friesen & Sons, 1944.
Mandates/sources of authority
GRANDMA ID: 409439
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Peters, Jake. "Sources for Canadian Mennonite Studies: an inventory and guide to archival holdings at the Mennonite Heritage Centre." Winnipeg, Manitoba: Mennonite Heritage Centre, 1988: 79-81.