Fonds ORG - First Mennonite Church (Greendale) fonds (MHA)

Identity area

Reference code



First Mennonite Church (Greendale) fonds (MHA)


  • 1968-2005 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

40 cm of textual records

Context area

Name of creator


Administrative history

First Mennonite Church Greendale was formally organized in 1931 as the First Mennonite Church of Sardis. The Mennonite settlers from the prairie provinces that came to the Yarrow, Sardis and Sumas areas all joined this congregation initially. They built their own meeting house in 1930-1931 after meeting in private homes for a number of months.

The first meetinghouse was enlarged in 1941. In 1947 a new church measuring 50 by 100 feet and seating 1,200 was constructed, with a dedication service held on 2 November 1947. The congregation was then renamed the First Mennonite Church Greendale.

Greendale experienced the disastrous 1948 flood, when the waters rose to cover the floor of the church. The church building was destroyed by fire on 13 December 1955, most likely due to faulty wiring. On 2 September 1956 a new sanctuary built on the same foundation but with a smaller sanctuary and the addition of classrooms was dedicated. The building was renovated in 1986.

The congregation went through a difficult transition in language from German to English in the 1960s.

In 2006 the congregation left Mennonite Church Canada and became an Area Conference Only Member (ACOM). In May 2007 the congregation chose not to participate in the signing of a new covenant document drawn up by Mennonite Church British Columbia, and on 18 November 2007 the congregation voted to leave the area conference.

The congregation changed its name to River of Life Church in 2012.

(See GAMEO for names of leaders and membership numbers.)

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

the congregation

Content and structure area

Scope and content

This fonds contains bulletins (1968-2002), directories (1968-1995), newsletters (1976-1992), annual reports (1976-1995, 2002), constitution (1977), and pictorial directories with brief congregational history (1989-1994). The records pertain to the founding and development of the Mennonite congregation in Sardis, B.C.. They document some of the leaders and participants in the congregation.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling


System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Inventory file list

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

By Bert Friesen 30 January 2003.




Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations