Showing 62 results

Authority record
Centre for Mennonite Brethren Studies, Winnipeg

Boissevain Mennonite Brethren Church (Boissevain, Manitoba)

  • US-MLA-2016
  • Corporate body
  • 1928-

Originally known as the Whitewater Mennonite Brethren Church. Adopted present name in 1944. This congregation originally consisted of members from the General Conference Mennonite and Allianz Gemeinde. In 1930 the General Conference members formed their own congregation and the Allianz members formally joined the Mennonite Brethren congregation.

Brooklands Community Church of the Mennonite Brethren (Winnipeg, Manitoba)

  • CA-CMBS-2016
  • Corporate body
  • 1964-1997

In the 1950s members from the South End Mennonite Brethren Church conducted a mission Sunday school in the Brooklands area of Manitoba. In 1957 the Home Missions Committee of the Manitoba Mennonite Brethren Church assumed responsibility for this work. In 1963 this committee appointed Abe and Anne Quiring as home missions workers for this mission.
On April 26, 1964 while meeting in the Butterworth school auditorium the church was organized with 12 charter members. A building was built at 44 Tentler Street (Brooklands, later a part of Winnipeg) and on September 19, 1965 a dedication service was held for this place of worship. Initially the church was named the Brooklands Mennonite Brethren Church. In 1966 it was agreed that the name should be Brooklands Community Church of the Mennonite Brethren. The building was enlarged in 1983. The church had a strong Sunday school program, operated a Vacation Bible School for a number of years and several other outreach programs such as the Mom’s program. Membership reached a high of 116 in 1992. The final service (closing celebration) was held on June 22, 1997.

Elm Creek Mennonite Brethren Church (Elm Creek, Manitoba)

  • US-MLA-2016
  • Corporate body
  • 1929-

Originally affiliated with the Winkler Mennonite Brethren Church, but became an independent congregation in 1931. Also sometimes known as the Barnsley Mennonite Brethren Church.

Elmwood Mennonite Brethren Church (Winnipeg, Manitoba)

  • CA-CMBS-2016
  • Corporate body
  • 1953-

The Elmwood Mennonite Brethren Church traces its beginning to 1907 when Johann Warkentin, leading minister in the Winkler Mennonite Brethren Church gathered believers together in Winnipeg for the purpose of establishing a Mennonite Brethren mission. Known as the Winnipeg City Mission, the group began meeting in a small chapel on Burrows Avenue in 1911. In 1913 they were formally organized as the Winnipeg Mennonite Brethren Church meeting. They met in the North End Chapel until a building was completed on College Avenue in 1929. As other Mennonite Brethren groups began to meet in North Kildonan and in Winnipeg's South End, the congregation meeting in the North End Chapel, was called the North End Mennonite Brethren Church. In 1953, a decision was reached to leave the location in Winnipeg's North End and build a new church on Henderson Highway, then called Kelvin Street. It was named the Elmwood Mennonite Brethren Church upon completion in 1954.

Results 1 to 15 of 62