teacher and minister
teacher and minister
Adventure Crossroads Incorporated traces its beginning to 1969 when a group of Mennonite volunteers decided to become involved in the lives of Winnipeg's inner city people. They formed a group called the Inner City Community Ministry Project. One of their first projects was to coordinated a camp for disadvantaged families. In 1971, Inner City Community Ministry Project changed its name to Crossroads and on January 14, 1974 Crossroads incorporated to become Adventure Crossroads Inc.
Crossroads worked on the premise that many people who needed help were not taking advantage of resources available to them. In order to alleviate this problem, members of Crossroads tried to develop personal relationships with people in the inner city in order to foster a greater sense of community and promote greater involvement.
Crossroad attempted to develop these personal relationships through their programs such as creating a receiving home, a foster home, and a learning centre for children with behavioral problems called Alexander Place. One of their largest and longest lasting projects was a family centre. Run at first out of Maclean House and then later out of 211 Isabel Street, this family centre provided a place for residents of the area to gather and participate together in activities.
A few Mennonite churches provided most of the volunteers and financies. When Crossroads became Adventure Crossroads Incorporated, a board was created consisting of representatives from these churches. Although volunteers made up the majority of the staff, there were also various employees.
Adventure Crossroads official dissolved on November 30, 1995.
Mennonite Encyclopedia entry:
Paul R. Aeschliman, a General Conference Mennonite pastor and conference leader, was born 25 October 1862, near Brenets, canton of Neuchatel, Switzerland, to Christ Pierre Aeschliman and Julia Roulet-Aeschliman. He died 19 March 1938. Aeschliman came to Pulaski, Iowa, in 1884 with several brothers. He had six brothers and two sisters. He married Phebe Diefenbach on 25 August 1892, and they had two children: Beulah Pearl, born 1896, and Rupert, born 1901. Aeschliman was educated in Switzerland and in the Mennonite Seminary at Halstead, Kansas, 1891-1892. In November 1886 he moved to Washington Territory, later returning to Kansas for schooling, to Iowa for marriage, and then back to Washington to farm. In 1893 he was elected minister of the First Mennonite Church of Colfax, Washington (later known as the Onecho Mennonite Church), which had been organized by J. B. Baer, Field Secretary of the General Conference Mennonite Church. He served this church for more than forty-three years until 1936, at which time he was made pastor emeritus. Aeschliman served in the following capacities: traveling pastor of the Pacific District Conference, 1896-1908; chairman of Evangelism Committee for the Pacific District Conference for a number of years beginning in 1908; a member of the General Conference Mennonite Church Home Missions Board, 1899-1908; of the General Conference Mennonite Church Relief Committee, 1911-1920, and of the General Conference Mennonite Church Program Committee, 1923-1932. He was a minister-at-large for the Pacific District Conference for many years.