Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Chilliwack Mennonite Church (originally called First Mennonite Church) was founded in 1947. Mennonites had come into the Chilliwack area of B.C. from the prairies in the 1940s. A congregation, initially known as the Westheimer Mennoniten Gemeinde, had been formed in 1945 but a division of opinion on many matters caused a split in 1947. The original group was named the East Chilliwack Mennonite Church and the new congregation was named the First Mennonite Church.
In 1959 a group desiring to worship in the English language began its own services and formed the Chilliwack Mennonite Mission Church. First Mennonite Church constructed a new sanctuary in 1965. In 1969 the Chilliwack Mennonite Mission Church merged back with the First Mennonite congregation and the name of the church was changed to Chilliwack Mennonite Church.
The congregation dissolved in 1978. (See GAMEO for names of leaders and membership numbers.)