Fonds 67 - Chilliwack Mennonite Church

Identity area

Reference code



Chilliwack Mennonite Church


  • 1969 - 1978 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

1 cm of textual documents

Context area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Archival history

A congregation, initially known as the Westheimer Mennoniten Gemeinde, had been formed in 1945 but a division of opinion on many matters due to the influence of revivalism caused a split in 1947. The group that remained became the East Chilliwack Mennonite Church and the new congregation was named the First Mennonite Church. The new congregation held its organizational meeting on 18 May 1947 in the Strathcona School, led by Elder Wilhelm Martens from the First Mennonite Church Greendale. There were 40 charter members. Gerhard D. Loewen is considered the founding leader of the group. On 30 August 1947 the congregation was able to purchase the church building formerly owned by the Zion Evangelical Church. It was located at 428 Wellington Avenue, four blocks from the city center.

In 1959 a group desiring to worship in the English language began its own services and formed the Chilliwack Mennonite Mission Church. First Mennonite Church constructed a new sanctuary in 1965. In 1969 the Chilliwack Mennonite Mission Church merged back with the First Mennonite congregation and the name of the church was changed to Chilliwack Mennonite Church.

The congregation dissolved in 1978 due to declining membership, and differences in theology. Long standing internal struggles and deep tensions between the "charismatic" and "traditional" led to the decay of the congregation. Eventually the congregation accepted a resolution to dissolve and turn over the church property and assets to the Conference of Mennonites in British Columbia with the view to establishing a new congregation under the leadership of the conference. The formal closing and thanksgiving service was held on 10 December 1978. The building was subsequently sold to the Victoria Avenue Baptist Church in Chilliwack, which held a dedication service under the new name of Evergreen Baptist Church in October 1980.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

The series consists of the following files:
1) Constitution - (1 file) Box

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling


System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created November 26, 2018 LJK




Accession area