Fonds ORG - Bergthaler Mennonite Church of Manitoba fonds

Identity area

Reference code

CA MHC ORG

Title

Bergthaler Mennonite Church of Manitoba fonds

Date(s)

  • 1882-1985 (Creation)

Level of description

Fonds

Extent and medium

2.59 meters of textual records
Three audio tapes and two audio reels

Context area

Name of creator

(1892-1983)

Administrative history

The Bergthaler Mennonite Church of Manitoba traces its origin to the ordination of Johann Funk in 1882 (although the church did not subscribe to the Bergthaler name until 1892. Funk led the Mennonite people who had migrated from the Manitoba Mennonite East Reserve since 1877. These people settled on the east side of the West Reserve in what is now the Altona-Gretna area. Originally these people had immigrated to Canada from the Bergthal and other colonies in Russia. In the East Reserve their church became known as the Chortitzer Mennonitengemeinde. In 1889 the Choritizer church gave their members on the West Reserve more autonomy with the establishment of the Waisenamt (church mutual aid institution). Johann Funk pushed the church into new territory with the vision of a teacher-training center in 1885. This became a reality in 1889 with the establishment of the Mennonite Educational Institute (MEI) later known as the Mennonite Collegiate Institute (MCI) in Gretna, Manitoba. Funk also proposed to have singing practices, Bible studies, Sunday School and fellowship with other churches. The biggest issue became education and the continuation of the MEI. The parent church on the East Reserve did not support Funk and in 1892 a church split occurred. A group of fifty-seven to sixty-one families chose to side with Funk but the vast majority, 441 families aligned themselves with the parent church. A new bishop, Abraham Doerksen from the village of Sommerfeld, was elected by the Chortitzer church in 1894 to serve its members. This larger group became known as the Sommerfelder Mennonite church and Funk's group as the Bergthaler Mennonite church. Included in Funk's small group of supporters were a few ministers. One of these, Jacob Hoeppner, was elected as an assistant to Funk in 1903. In that same year the Bergthaler church formed a partnership with the Rosenorter Mennonite church of Saskatchewan, beginning what became the Conference of Mennonites in Canada. In 1926 David Schultz was elected as the Aeltester (Bishop) to take over the responsibilities from Hoeppner. During this era the church expanded greatly due to the depression forcing people to move, the influx of new Mennonite immigrants and the controversy over the school and Waisenamt having somewhat been forgotten.

A finance commmittee was organized in 1929, taking control of finances away from the ministers. Other new venture in subsequent years included the establishment of the Elim Bible School, Mennonite Pioneer Mission to aid Mennonite people in Mexico and native people in Canada, the Christian Home Hour and the Abundant Life radio programs aired on CFAM in Altona, Manitoba. The church established seniors homes and a Christian Bible camp (Moose Lake Camp). It published church paper called Das Bergthaler Gemeinde Blatt printed by D.W. Friesen Printers in Altona, Manitoba. The church also supported its young men with getting contentious objectors (CO) status during World War Two and with visits to the men in the Alternative Service camps.

The church suffered a serious set back when the Waisenamt, where many people had invested their life savings, collapsed in 1931.

When Schultz began as Bishop in 1926, the church had three houses of worship. By 1952 there were ten church buildings, twenty-one places of worship, twenty-four Sunday schools, one Bishop (Aeltester) and twenty ministers. The church began a decentralization process when it began to ordain more elders, moving away from the strong one leader concept. In 1951 J.M. Pauls of Morden, Manitoba was ordained and served until his death in 1961. In 1961 D.D. Klassen and J.F. Pauls were ordained and in 1962 Ernest Wiebe was ordained. In 1965 the Bergthaler church continued to decentralize, giving more autonomy to the local churches. In 1967 ministers in the local churches had the right to baptize and serve communion, which had earlier one been done by the bishop. By 1968 the Bergthaler Mennonite Church of Manitoba had almost totally decentralized with all the major church programs having been assumed by board of the General Conference Mennonite Church or the Conference of Mennonites in Canada. With decentralization almost complete, the next step by default was dissolution. In a meeting in Carman, Manitoba on March 9, 1971, the nineteen congregations decided to dissolve the Bergthaler Mennonite Church. This action became final in 1983 when Bill 112 received Royal Assent and the Act to incorporate the Corporation of the Bergthaler Mennonite Church of Manitoba was repealed.

Archival history

This collection came to the Mennonite Heritage Centre in numerous deposits. The first deposit was made by Henry Gerbrandt in July and August of 1974. Gerbrandt had written the history of the church, published under the title, Adventure of Faith. The second deposit was made in the fall of 1974 by former Bishop David Schultz (via Ernest Wiebe). This consisted of nine large membership ledgers. On June 20, 1979, D.H. Loewen deposited a third group of records dealing with the finance committee. In December of 1983 and January 1984, Loewen deposited another two collections of material that dealt with the finances of the church. The sixth deposit was brought to the Heritage Centre by Alf Loewen in 1984-1985 that dealt with the dissolution of the church. Two audio recording reels were brought to the Centre by John C. Klassen in 1974. The Waisenamt correspondeance records during its liquidation were deposited by Henry Gerbrandt in 1974. Also in 1974, the ledger books were deposited by the Red River Mutual Insurance company who occupied the old Bergthaler Waisenamt building in Altona.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

This fonds consists of six series:

  • 1) Church membership ledgers recording vital statistics
  • 2) Minutes of the brotherhood, ministerial, and finance committee meetings
  • 3) Financial records, legal documents, and correspondence
  • 4) Fire insurance records
  • 5) Bergthaler Waisenamt (aid organization) records
  • 6) Disbanding of the Organization.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Some in German

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Notes area

Note

Accession nos. 74-1, 74-5, 74-6, 74-7, 75-2, 79-43, 83-74, 85-48, 85-49, 85-50, 05-069, 06-076.

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Described by Jake Peters in "Resources for Canadian Mennonite studies: an inventory guide to archival holdings at the Mennonite Heritage Centre" (1988: 12-18). Re-described by Conrad Stoesz in 1998; updated by Conrad Stoesz, November 20, 2006.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Physical storage

  • Box: Volumes
  • Shelf: Audio cassettes
  • Shelf: Audio reels